Monday October 16, 2017
Business author and Purple Cubed Founder, Jane Sunley will join over 400 women from all walks of life at the Women of the Year Lunch today as a ‘2017 Woman of Achievement’. Each guest is regarded as a ‘Woman of the Year’ and represents not only herself, but the millions of women who make a difference every day
This year’s event will take place on Monday 16 October 2017 at the InterContinental Hotel, Park Lane, London.
Previous attendees of the Women of the Year Lunch have included: Eimear McBride, Ellen MacArthur, Fern Britton, Dame Harriet Walter, Dame Jacqueline Wilson, Julie Walters CBE, Lindsay Lohan, Lulu, Mel Giedroyc, Nadiya Hussein, Nicole Kidman, Professor Mary Beard, Sally Lindsay and Theresa May.
Women of the Year has recognised, celebrated and inspired women of all backgrounds since 1955 and continues to shine a light on ordinary women, doing extraordinary work, through an annual Lunch and Awards ceremony, Alumnae events and on-going foundation work.
Sandi Toksvig, President of Women of the Year, said: "I’m looking forward to the honour of welcoming these incredible women to the Lunch in October. These women are making a huge difference in their own way, and it’s important that we celebrate such extraordinary work. I would love to show the room to every schoolgirl growing up in Britain today and tell them ‘you can be whatever you want to be: just look at these incredible women.’”
Exceptional women will receive special awards at the Lunch for being an inspiration to others, demonstrated by their courage, selflessness and dedication. These special Women of the Year Awards are sponsored by Barclays, Good Housekeeping, ITV’s Lorraineand Prudential and will be announced on Monday 16 October 2017.
Previous Women of the Year winners include:
- Baroness Doreen Lawrence, campaigner for justice following the murder of her son Stephen
- Christina Noble, founder of The Christina Noble Children’s Foundation
- Dame Jocelyn Bell Burnell, Astrophysicist
- Fahma Mohammed, anti-FGM activist
- Jayne Senior MBE,Rotherham sexual abuse whistle-blower
- Katie Piper, who set up a charity to help burns survivors after being victim of a brutal acid attack
- Kris Hallenga, breast cancer awareness campaigner and co-founder of Coppafeel!
- Liz Clegg, a volunteer who has fought to reduce the plight of women and children living in the Calais Jungle.
- Marjorie Wallace CBE,British writer, broadcaster, investigative journalist, and Chief Executive of SANE
- Seema Aziz, founder of CARE foundation Pakistan, a not-for-profit organization that is on a mission to provide quality education to all